Given the significant snowfalls in New Jersey this winter, we would like to offer some tips to help prevent winter weather injuries. When it comes to shoveling snow, make sure to stay safe by:
- Using the shovel properly. Hold it as intended and don’t try to lift too much snow.
- Not over-exerting yourself. When you try to do more than you can, your body is prone to injury.
- Not twisting your body. Lift with your legs and switch sides frequently.
- Dressing warm and using layers. Make sure to change into dry clothes if your clothes get wet.
- Warming-up your muscles. Stiff muscles are more prone to injury.
If you are driving in snow or icy weather, please consider these precautions:
- Clear all ice and/or snow from your car before you drive. It is the law!
- Don’t travel faster than necessary. Often times, speed limits are decreased during storms.
- Remember that bridges freeze first so watch out for black ice.
- Allow more room for the vehicles in front of you. Snow and icy conditions make it harder to stop so you will need more room to brake.
- If your car should become disabled, pull over to the side of the road with hazard lights on.
Should you sustain a snow or ice related injury, AFC Urgent Care Urgent Care in South Plainfield is here to help. Our walk-in center can treat your non-life threatening injuries. All our patients are seen by a board-certified physician with little to no wait time and we have x-rays and labs on-site. Visit us at 907 Oak Tree Avenue, Oak Park Commons (near the Super A&P) in South Plainfield or call us at 908-222-3500.